The Outreach Department provides several vital services to students and staff outside of the WSSB campus. Our mission is to fill the gaps of service that may be needed in school districts around the State of Washington and to continue to develop new strategies to better serve students who are blind or visually impaired. Our department has teachers positioned within all regions of Washington State.
We collaborate extensively with agencies and organizations in Washington who also provide vital services to students who are blind or visually impaired. This includes Washington Sensory Disabilities Services, which is a State Needs Project funded by the WA State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction.
The following services are provided:
- Itinerant teaching services to Washington school districts. (Teacher of the Visually Impaired and Orientation and Mobility)
- In-service to local school districts.
- Technology consultation service to school districts specific to students who are blind or visually impaired.
- Consultation to Washington school districts to assist in assessing the needs of students who are blind or visually impaired.
- Assistance to local school districts in recruitment and strategies to provide appropriate services to students who are blind or visually impaired.